Haapsalu history

Haapsalu (earlier also Oablu or Aablu) has three sides by the sea limited in the city, which has grown to the size of 10.59 square kilometers. Located on the southern shore of the Baltic Sea, the Bay of Haapsalu. Haapsalu beginning of the be regarded as established here in the 13th century castle built in the center of the Diocese. 1279 became Haapsalu town bylaws. Life was restless, built in the 15th century fort The city wall. For hundreds of years the stronghold looted, during the various wars destroyed it, again built on and improved. To date, after the castle courtyard with a Church and moats. Nice place for cultural events and as the walk. In 1825, the year in which first built mud baths, shall be considered as a starting point for the resort of Haapsalu.
Haapsalu is a quiet holiday resort in the bay, which thanks its low water warms up relatively quickly.
In 1825, the Karl Abraham Hunnius introduced the Haapsalu therapeutic mud. Haapsalu therapeutic mud and sea are here to relax attracted many famous people all over the world. 1914. started World War II caused a setback in health resort economy, but already at the beginning of the 1920s began to mud baths again fill up. The number of holidaymakers rose over the year 3000. In 1936, the Soviet occupation During Haapsalu was a famous health center, drove into a sanatorium where his health than to restore the Soviet Union. At the present time, it is known as the tourist town of Haapsalu. Inhabitants about 11000th.